Saturday, August 31, 2013

My Story


My story. It's not a very long one. Or eventful for that matter. I grew up in a small town. I'm in one of those families where we all know each others secrets and we never say good bye without telling one another we love each other. Our values are pretty straight and narrow. God and family is the base for all that we do. Southern food was the only food I knew my whole life. That and rice. My dad is from Guam so rice goes with everything in my book. I was the kid that wanted to do and succeed at everything. At a young age I started dance, gymnastics, and pageants. All of which I was exceptionally good at. I grew up with a passion for entertaining and being on stage.  By the time I made it to junior high I was traveling all over the country competing in dance competitions and pageants. By the time I made it to high school I made the decision to quit traveling so much and experience what high school was all about. I made it through high school just barely. It took me four years to realize that I should have stuck with my passion rather than doing the things that were thought to be cool. It was about a month before I graduated high school that I met my then future husband. He was the man that I had always dreamed about. Hard working, loving, passionate, and rooted deep in his faith. Of course I fell head first into a love that I know saved my life. I had plans to move away to go to college but by the time it came time to do so I realized I had it too good right where I was and I shouldn't leave. I stayed home and went to college. I only stayed in college for a semester and that's when Shane asked me to marry him. We were in the midst of planning a big wedding. Things happened. We persevered. We got married on a whim 2 months before our scheduled wedding in front of a fire place at his parents home. Looking back I wouldn't have it any other way. That spur of the moment decision was hands down the best of my life. We jumped right into the thought of us starting a family. We found out 6 months after being married that we were expecting a baby. Nine months later we welcome the most perfect little person into the world. A boy, Baylor Jude Welch.  Baylor is now 6 months old and the love I have for him consumes me more than I thought anything ever could. I fall in love more with Shane every time I see how much of an amazing father he is to our son. In the end, my life didn't turn out like anything I thought it would. I'm everything I always said I wouldn't be. And I couldn't feel more blessed. I thank God every chance I get because I'm still blown away that I'm so blessed that this is the life I get to live. This may not have been my plan in the beginning, but I truly feel that my dreams really did and still are coming true. 

I have tried to create a link up but I guess I'm doing something wrong since I can't get it to work. If you have advice on how I can get it to work please leave you two cents! Haha. If you are participating in the challenge leave your link in the comments so we can check it out! 

Xo 
Jerika 


5 comments:

  1. Jerika, it's so neat to have read your story and gotten to know more about you. Thank you for arranging this. I am not sure how to "link up" as I am a very novice blogger. I spent most of the morning trying to make mine look pretty, haha.... anyway, here is my link http://thejohnstons731.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3 love it! your so gorgeous and i love little Baylor!
    bahlbabies.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. loooove :) finally finished mine. NOW to get started on tomorrows :D

    www.teamlaines.com

    <3 Jade

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful story Jerika!

    As far as the linkup, were you trying inlinks? I've heard that's the easiest linky tool to use.

    Here's the link to my story: http://hotmessmamatheblog.blogspot.com/2013/09/my-story.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found this, and I'm def going to participate! I missed out on the Blog in May thing also, and was totally bummed about it! As far as linking up goes, I use www.inlinz.com and it's pretty easy. If you have any questions about how to do it, don't hesitate to email me! :)

    ReplyDelete